Global Boudoir: Broke & Bougie Girls Love a Fancy Bedroom

October 16, 2018
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back!

It has been an incredibly long time since I've posted (February to be exact 😅) and A LOT has happened since. I'll get into that in another post but I wanted to share something I did for myself ahead of my 30th birthday.

I didn't have the means to bring in the big 3-0 in a global location like I'd originally planned but I figured I might as well bring my travels to my bedroom! I spend a lot of time in my room due to the nature of NYC living and the fact that my shared living space has been a glorified storage room for the past three years (I am going to be doing a huge re-vamp ahead of Thanksgiving so stay tuned for that reveal!) My room needed a major revamp and I was sick of the gray and white theme I'd settled upon when I first moved in. My color palette stemmed from this gorgeous abstract painting I found on TJMaxx.com and it looks perfect with my navy velvet curtains and my new bed frame. But here's the part that truly makes my new room the perfect mix of broke and bougie --absolutely nothing I got for my new room was over $200! The most expensive piece being my bed frame. And the rug was a total steal that I snagged on Amazon Prime Day!

my new boudoir has a mix of global influences, textures, and luxe fabrics. nothing pictured cost over $200

My room is a bit small so my bed has become the focal point of the entire room. It's pretty much the first thing you see as soon as you walk in so I knew it needed to reflect my personal style but also look comfy and inviting. My favorite part about building this new look was mixing different textures and global influences--while reflecting my love of Africa. While the linen duvet serves (snagged on sale from Bed, Bath & Beyond--and I had a gift card that I received before I moved to New York) as a blank canvas for my bed, I created a multi-layered blanket bonanza at the foot of my bed. There's a super comfy faux fur blanket I got from Target years ago (similar here), gorgeous Beninese indigo mud-cloth fabric that I scored at an African fabric store in Harlem (NYC based folks please go to Yara Fabrics on 125th and ask for Moctar--you won't be disappointed!), and a throw in the style of a Moroccan Wedding blanket. Needless to say, I definitely won't get cold in the coming winter months with all these cozy blankets on my bed.

indigo mudcloth from benin and a moroccan wedding blanket style throw

At the top of my bed, I went full bougie glam by mixing some of my favorite fabrics--satin, velvet, and faux fur. I've used satin pillowcases for a majority of my life because they're great for your hair and skin but they also look gorgeous when paired with other luxe fabrics. It took a bit of searching to find the perfect throw pillows but I finally struck gold when I found these stunning mauve velvet pillows at Marshall's (exact pillows here). I tied everything together with this cute faux fur bolster that my mom oringally bought for her home, but I managed to convince her to let me have it! (similar here)

texture on texture on texture
It was so much fun building this look and creating a room that felt grown up but still fun and reflects my style. I will continue to use the painting as my main source inspiration and might even throw in some mustard yellow curtains for the spring!

Check out the widget below to shop similar and exact items mentioned in this post. 👇🏾👇🏾👇🏾

SHOP THIS POST


     
I re-did my entire bedroom and if anyone is interested in a full post about the re-vamp let me know in the comments below or give me a shout on instagram! If anyone has recently done a major re-haul on their space, lets chat about where you sourced your pieces! I'm re-doing my living room soon and would love to trade secrets!


No comments:

Post a Comment

@instagram