It's Lit: Broke & Bougie Girls Love Candles

January 30, 2018

I freakin *LOVE* candles. I'm pretty sure it's an obsession I picked up from my mom because growing up, she would always have candles around the house. Once I was old enough to light candles on my own, you could always find me taking a shower by candlelight or just reading books in my room.

Fast Forward to [r e d a c t e d] years later, I've started to hoard candles of all scents and price ranges. But I wouldn't be a true broke & bougie chick if I didn't have some hacks for getting my hands on not so-budget friendly candles*

*And yes, that includes the boss bitch candle brand of them all, Diptyque. 

 ðŸŽµ  if loving diytque is basic, then i don't wanna be right ðŸŽµ

For those of you that don't know, Diptyque is a french candle and fragrance brands that makes some of the best scents you'll ever get your hands on. They're luxurious, beautifully designed and synonymous with "money moves". The mini version of these bad-boys run for $34 while the larger ones start at $64.

Now I know you're wondering, "Alanna, if you're so broke, how the f did you get enough disposable income to buy a $60+ candle?". The answer is gift cards, my dears. If you really want to luxuriate in hand poured french candles then spend that digital money you receive on Christmases and Birthdays. If you don't have access to gift cards, then start small with the mini candles and see if they work for you. Also, keep your eyes on seasonal sales. For instance, Space NK had a buy one get one half off sale right after Thanksgiving. If you must spend $60+, you might as well get two candles.

And if you're one of those people that are like, "There's no way in heeeelllll I'm spending that much on a candle" then I got you. If you don't want to shell out that kinda cash for candles, I would suggest trying out local brands and artisans you come across.

Some of my NYC favorites include:

Soap For Sinners -- handmade soaps and candles sourced from New Jersey. My favorite scent is Rosewater. The candles are $18. You can either order online or check out their booth in Artists & Fleas at Chelsea Market.

7115 by Szeki-- this is actually a clothing store that I stumbled across after brunch a few weeks ago but they've started creating custom candles. My favorite scent is Rivington and it was $25. They're not selling the candles online at the moment but the store is super cute and worth a visit.

LIT Brooklyn -- LIT is a black female owned candle company so I'm already in 10000% but the scents are also amazing. My favorite part about this brand is the fact they sell travel size candles in a bundle! They start at $14 but you can get a set of 3 for $36 or a set of 5 for $55. Favorite scents include Beau and Muse.

Mrs. Meyers -- technically they're not locally sourced but you can't go into a single bodega in Brooklyn or fancy organic grocery store without seeing Mrs. Meyers. They burn for hours and are the cheapest option in this list. Depending on where you are, candles start at $9.99. My favorite scent is Geranium.

it's lit
And if locally sourced candles aren't your jam, then I would suggest scouring the aisles of TJ Maxx and Marshalls for your new favorite candles. I've found so many great buys here after lots of searching and smelling (for the love of God folks, please smell the candles first--I've found plenty a candle that looks gorgeous on the outside but smells like hot ðŸ’©  on the inside). The prices of course vary but you'll find some great options and diffusers as well.

UPDATE 2/1/18: Soap For Sinners commented on my insta post with some good advice on buying from TJ Maxx, Homegoods, etc. "One thing to note: look for 100% soy, or beeswax or coconut wax. I’m always careful buying from TJ maxx/Marshall’s/homegoods. A candle can be labeled a “soy candle” if it contains at least 30% soy. That means 70% can be paraffin wax. It’s crazy. It’s almost the same as olive oil having 10% actual olive oil and 90% soybean and still have olive oil label."

Now that you have all the tips on how to make your house smell like you've got a million bucks, what brands and scents are your favorites? Any indie brands I should be checking out? Let me know in the comments below!

Go forth and be bougie (on a budget) my friends!


1 comment:

@instagram