Not A Recipe: Quick and Easy Breakfasts

February 1, 2018
I have a confession to make.....I don't always eat breakfast. 

And sometimes I completely forget to eat ALL day until my stomach is screaming for mercy. 

I'm not on any fast or am trying to starve myself because baby girl looooooves food, but sometimes I'll wake up and immediately start working. Most days, I'll hop on the e-mail and before I know it, it's 3pm and all I've put in my body is coffee and a hope and a prayer. 

In an effort to stop this unhealthy behavior, I've been trying to make quick and easy breakfasts that don't require a lot of time or thinking. 

On the days when it's cold and miserable outside, I like to make multi-grain oatmeal with mix-ins that don't have a lot of extra sugar. And since I'm all about ease, throw that bad boy in the microwave because waiting for water to boil is *NOT* time efficient. 

Some of my favorite add ins include:  
  • blueberries
  • almond butter
  • bananas and honey
  • raspberries 
  • maple syrup and walnuts
By mixing up my mix-ins, I've found that I can eat oatmeal almost every day and feel like I'm eating something different. My next goal is to foray into the world of savory oatmeal, but that's for days when I have more time to experiment and figure out what I like. 



For those of you that hate oatmeal due to traumatic childhood experiences, why not try the millennial classic*, avocado toast? 

*jokes on all the older folks that make fun of millennials for eating avocados in bulk, cuz they're damn delicious

One of the many things I love about living in NYC is the fact I can almost always find avocados for a decent price. It's also so weird when I go back home to Atlanta and I balk at the price and size of avocados. I always look at my mom in horror and say ."Ya'll pay that much for one avocado?!"

However, I should probably keep my mouth shut because NYC has also turned avo toast into a cultural mainstay. So much so, that it's borderline ridiculous. You can't walk into any brunch spot these days without seeing avo toast on the menu. And then you internally scream at how much it is knowing good and well you're still gonna pay for the shit and eat it in silent guilt. (Yes, I am speaking from experience)

So save yourself the shame of spending $11 on toasted bread and a smashed tree fruit, make it at home. I like to use wholegrain/multigrain breads that I toast in the oven, because broke & bougie girls can't afford toasters.

Smash up a half or a 1/4* of a ripe avocado, spread it on your toast and then top with anything your heart desires. I always keep grape tomatoes around and on the days when I've been really fancy, I'll add homemade roasted red peppers.

Now the most important part is the seasoning. Much as I love avocados, let's all be honest here and admit they're a bit bland. And before you start raising your pitchforks and coming for me, avocados may be bland but their blandness makes them the perfect canvas for transformation. You can use literally any spice under the sun to turn your basic avocado toast into an effin masterpiece.

I'm a big fan of flaky sea salt, red pepper, lemon juice and fancy olive oil that I carted back from Rwanda (more on that later). But the sky is the limit. I would also suggest trying out spice blends like Ras El Hanout (Moroccan spice blend), Za'tar (Arabic spice blend), or Berbere (Ethiopian spice blend). You can find these blends online or at World Market if you want to try them out!

avo toast: the piece de resistance of all millennial brekkies
What kind of quick breakfasts do you prefer? Anyone ever tried savory oatmeal? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.


1 comment:

@instagram